Gaming and Internet addition is now recognised as a serious problem for computer users. Time Guardian can assist parents, employers and individuals to control and monitor the time spent on computer applications.
Time guardian is a parental control program that can restrict access to a wide variety of applications, using either time of day restrictions, or by monitoring the total time spent. This includes games, internet browsers, messaging systems (such as Live Messenger) and many other Windows based applications. You also have the option of completely blocking software indefinitely.
You can set time limits for each application individually or group applications together by type (such as “Games”). Therefore, it does not make a difference how much time the user has spent on a particular game, rather; the total time spent gaming.
Each child can have separate limitations. For example: if you want to restrict the youngest child to 1 hour of games per day and your teenager to 4 hours this is possible. These limitations are customisable for daily, weekly or even monthly usage scenarios. Once the time limit has been reached, they will no longer have access to that application, or group of applications. Also, the termination of a program is done in an elegant manor. Visual and auditory alerts are given well before applications are terminated, allowing the user to save their game/work.
Computer games and the internet are so engrossing that users often lose hours sometimes days addicted to an application.
If you are concerned you child may be spending too much time online, playing games, or messaging friends, Time Guardian can help by:
- Limiting the time your kids spend on the home computer
- Limiting the amount of time your child can play games
- Control what time of day your child is allowed to access the computer for certain activities (such as non-school work)
- Specify the amount of time your child spends surfing the internet
- Restrict access to some of your computer’s system functions, like the registry and task manager
- Maintains a history of all usage for each program group so you can monitor how many hours you child spends on each activity
- Create custom schedules for each member of your family, thus avoiding: fighting over computer time, using without permission, and limit time abuse
- Set up daily, weekly or monthly time quotas and schedules
- Respond to good or bad behavior by allowing the software’s administrator (or parent) to add or subtract available hours to any program or group.
Time Guardian is also useful in a business environment as a security measure to prevent staff from using the computer unproductively during work hours. It can also be used in schools, libraries, and other places where computers are freely available to people at certain times.